Mantoloking Urges County purchase of Traders Cove as park.
OF THE BOROUGH OF MANTOLOKING, OCEAN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY
REQUESTING THAT THE OCEAN COUNTY BOARD OF CHOSEN FREEHOLDERS PURCHASE THE TRADERS COVE SITE IN BRICK TOWNSHIP AS A PARK
WHEREAS, the Ocean County Park System currently has no park on the shores of Barnegat Bay north of Cattus Island; and
WHEREAS, the public has limited locations along Barnegat Bay in which to obtain visual and physical access to Barnegat Bay for passive recreation and enjoyment; and
WHEREAS, Traders Cove Marina is comprised of 11.5 waterfront acres on the northern portion of Barnegat Bay near the Mantoloking Bridge, and would make an ideal site for waterfront access as well as public, passive recreation; and
WHEREAS, the Traders Cove site is one of the last sites along the northern portion of the Bay at which a public park could be created; and
WHEREAS, the Traders Cove site was recently proposed to be developed with 62 condominiums, a restaurant, and a marina; and
WHEREAS, intensive commercial or residential development of the Traders Cove site could adversely affect the ecology of Barnegat Bay and the adjacent National Wildlife Refuge through stormwater runoff, light and noise pollution, and disturbance to migratory birds; and
WHEREAS, an alternate public use compatible with the adjacent wildlife refuge would advance the public interest; and
WHEREAS, conservation of the Traders Cove site as public open space would be consistent with the Master Plan of the Township of Brick; and
WHEREAS, well over one hundred thousand permanent residents of Ocean County live within three miles of the Traders Cove site in Brick, Mantoloking, and other Townships and Boroughs.
IT IS NOW, THEREFORE, this 20th day of May, 2002, RESOLVED by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Mantoloking, Ocean County, New Jersey, as follows:
1. The Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders is hereby petitioned to avail itself of this opportunity to acquire and utilize this site as a public park/marina for the benefit of the general public and residents of northern Ocean County.
2. All residents and property owners in Mantoloking are urged to petition Freeholder Director Joseph Vicari, PO Box 2191, Toms River, NJ 08754, to encourage the County of Ocean to purchase the Traders Cove site.
3. The utilization of this site as a public park and marina could provide sufficient revenue to, over time, recover the necessary investment for acquisition.
4. The opposition to the proposed residential and commercial redevelopment of Traders Cove Marina, as led by Save Barnegat Bay, is hereby endorsed.
5. A copy of this Resolution shall be delivered to the following:
(a) Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders;
(b) Freeholder Director Joseph Vicari;
(c) Senator Andrew Ciesla; and Assemblymen David Wolfe and James Holzapful;
(d) Mayor Joseph Scarpelli;
(e) Mayor Arthur Petracco; and
(f) Save Barnegat Bay.
I, Irene H. Ryan, Clerk of the Borough of Mantoloking, County of Ocean and State of New Jersey, do hereby certify the foregoing to be a true copy of a Resolution passed by the Borough Council of the Borough of Mantoloking at a regular meeting held in the Borough Hall at 8:00 p.m. on Monday, May 20, 2002, at which time a quorum was present.